The 2013 Orange County MATHCOUNTS competition was held on Feb. 2 at UC Irvine. After three rounds of competition, Jason Ye finished second in both the individual round and countdown competitions, and Rancho San Juoquan Middle School finished first in the team competition.
MATHCOUNTS is the nation’s largest and most prestigious middle school math competition for students in grades 6 to 8 with over half million participants annually in the United States. It consists of school, county, state, and national competitions.
Eight students in the Ardent Academy Math and Physics Olympiad program placed in the top 12 in the Orange County Chapter competition and advanced to the state level competition in March. 14 of the 20 students on the five winning teams that advanced to the state competition participated in Ardent Academy training programs.
The unofficial results of the competition are as follows:
- Jason Ye - Rancho San Joaquin Middle School
- Eric Li - Rancho San Joaquin Middle School
- Yuton Dai - Sierra Vista Middle School
- Jessica Lee - Rancho San Joaquin Middle School
- Calvin Brown - Rancho San Joaquin Middle School
- Eric Yang - Rancho San Joaquin Middle School
- Harrison Ku - Venado Middle School
- Phil Chen - Venado Middle School
- Nicholos Fu - Oxford Academy
- Jennifer Choi - Oxford Academy
1. Rancho San Joaquin Middle School
2. Venado Middle School
3. Sierra Vista Middle School
4. Oxford Academy and Turtle Rock Elementary School
All winning students and teams advanced to the state competition to be held in March at UC Irvine.